Preparing for Winter Weather
Are you prepared for winter weather? Here are some tips from the National Weather Service:
Before a Winter Weather Event
- Pay close attention to the forecast at weather.gov.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged, especially if you are leaving the house. It could become your only means of communication.
- Consider obtaining a weather radio and creating an Emergency Preparedness Kit with three days of food, water, prescription medications and other supplies.
- Place food, water and blankets in your car in case you get stranded.
During and After a Storm
- Stay off the road if advised to do so by authorities.
- Keep pets inside. Remember that if it’s too cold for you, it’s too cold for them.
- Dress in warm, loose layers.
- NEVER use a generator, kerosene heater or other sources of carbon monoxide indoors.
- Use care when shoveling. Avoid downed power lines and take regular breaks.
These tips were adapted from the National Weather Service.
Published on December 22, 2015